Subject: rev 10 - trunk trunk/www

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:55:07 -0500

Author: kfogel
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:55:03 -0500
New Revision: 10

Added:
   trunk/www/
   trunk/www/index.html
Log:
Make a web area.

Added: trunk/www/index.html
==============================================================================
--- trunk/www/index.html	(original)
+++ trunk/www/index.html	Mon Aug 12 17:55:06 2002
@@ -0,0 +1,26 @@
+<title>ALE: an ALignment Editor based on GNU Emacs</title>
+
+<html>
+<body bgcolor="FFFFFF" fgcolor="000000">
+
+<center>
+<h1>
+ALE: an ALignment Editor based on GNU Emacs
+</h1>
+</center>
+
+<p>
+
+This will be Ale's web area, offering (among other things) a link to
+download a tarball distribution of Ale.  But that's all in the future.
+Right now, it's just another supplier of vapor.
+
+<p>
+
+See <a href="http://svn.red-bean.com:8080/ale/trunk/"
+>http://svn.red-bean.com:8080/ale/trunk/</a> for more information.
+
+<p>
+
+</body>
+</html>

---

From: Loredana Lo Conte <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:06:39 +0100 (BST)

I had a very superficial look at some of the code and I noticed a
suspicious (require 'cl-19) in several .el files. Is that good?

[How much does Ale depend on a specific emacs release?]

Also, in gene-seq-mode.el there is a reference to ~kfogel/...

In general: I read enough of the lisp manual to refresh my memory about
what I knew already, but there is a lot I have never seen before that
is specific to editing, for example, and heavily used in Ale. Will
take me a while to digest.

Loredana

---

From: Jim Blandy <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Aug 2002 21:30:05 -0500

> suspicious (require 'cl-19) in several .el files. Is that good?

I think that's fine.  It's just saying that it requires the features
of CL that were added in version 19, and presumably are still present.

> [How much does Ale depend on a specific emacs release?]

Probably more than your average Emacs Lisp package, but since it was
so easy to get it going even after two major releases of Emacs, I'd
say it's doing pretty well.

> take me a while to digest.

You can play with it interactively in Emacs.

(Sorry I didn't look at Ale last week.)

---

From: Loredana Lo Conte <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:43:38 +0100 (BST)

Ale does not work when both Niels and I tried to change the setting to
something different than the default. What is likely to be the problem?
Give me a hint, at least that :)

Loredana

---

From: Jim Blandy <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Aug 2002 08:23:22 -0500

> Give me a hint, at least that :)

Well, which Emacs Lisp function are you calling, exactly?  What
command are you using?

---

From: Niels Larsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:54:04 -0500

>     Give me a hint, at least that :)
     
It is mighty generous that you (Karl/Jim) take time to work on it. How 
does one best provide you helpful detail about an error? I can think of
describing how to create the error and/or a trace ( (setq debug-on-error t) ? ) - ? 

Niels

---

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Aug 2002 09:56:45 -0500

Hi, Loredana, Niels, Jim :-),

I haven't done anything yet with the bug reports.  (I have them saved
in my mailreader and I'm sure Jim does too, although we should set up
a real bug-tracking system soon!).  Instead, I've taken care of a
piece of "meta-business" -- setting up an Ale distribution point:

   http://www.red-bean.com/ale

There's a tarball of Ale 0.1.184 available for download from there,
and things are set up so it's very convenient for us to make new
releases from now on.

> describing how to create the error and/or a trace ( (setq debug-on-error t) ? ) - ? 

For reporting bugs, the most helpful thing is a summary paragraph,
followed by *lots* of detail.  For example:

   "I'm running the latest Ale from the repository, under Emacs
    21.3.50, and getting an error when I try to slide a multi-row
    rectangle of bases to the right (by dragging while holding down
    the middle mouse button).

    First, I shift-click mouse-1 on the upper leftmost base.  Then I
    go down 4 rows and right 3 rows and click mouse-1 without the
    shift key.  There are no bases directly to the right of the new
    rectangle, only hyphens, but the rectangle itself contains all
    bases, no hyphens.  Now I hold down mouse-1 in the middle of the
    rectangle and drag right.  Instead of moving the bases, Ale rings
    a bell and complains (in the message area at the bottom of the
    screen) that I am producing disastrous phenotypical results.

    Do you have any idea what's causing this behavior?"

The first thing we'll do is try to reproduce the bug ourselves.  If we
can't reproduce it, we'll ask you for your data: you send us your
input files, and tell us exactly how you invoked Ale, precisely where
to click the mouse, etc.  Usually we can reproduce the bug that way,
or at least figure out why it was happening to you.

Therefore, the ideal thing is to send an initial reproduction recipe
that uses the demo data shipped with Ale.  Then you can describe a
completely concrete recipe based on that data, and we'll be more
likely to reproduce it the first time.

If you want to (setq debug-on-error t) and send a trace too, that
doesn't hurt, but only if it's convenient for you.

Hope this helps!,
-Karl