Subject: Re: Latest version of Ale?

From: Jim Blandy <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Aug 2002 14:39:22 -0500

Karl Fogel <[email-masked]> writes:
> Jim Blandy <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Now that we've got it under version control, we can actually start
> > working on it in an orderly way...
> 
> Niels, you wouldn't have seen this commit message, so I'm forwarding
> it.  The short summary is: Ale now works with the latest Emacs from
> the FSF.

So, Loredana, can you check out a copy of this version and see if it
makes the problems you observed go away?

You'll need to install a client for the Subversion version control
system.  http://subversion.tigris.org  If this is too much trouble for
you, we can make a tar for you, but it would really be much nicer if
you were working with the current sources.

---

From: Niels Larsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:37:32 -0500

Hi Karl, et al,

>     it.  The short summary is: Ale now works with the latest Emacs from
 
Brilliant!  how to nice to see this piece revitalized .. yes please,
I would like to be added to your mailing list. Many thanks for your
work to achieve this. 

Niels

---

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Aug 2002 10:08:41 -0500

> I would like to be added to your mailing list. Many thanks for your

You're added -- welcome to the list!

I just posted instructions on how to obtain Subversion, and how to use
it to download Ale... but you weren't yet on the list :-).  Here are
those instructions again:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
As Subversion 0.14.1 has just been released, this would be a good time
to set yourself up.  It's very easy:

First, grab:

  http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/690/subversion-r2927.tar.gz

Unpack it, build and install the `svn' client:

  $ zcat subversion-r2927.tar.gz | tar xvf -
  $ cd subversion-r2927
  $ ./configure --disable-shared
  $ make
  $ make check   ### this is optional; also, it can take a long time
  # make install
  $ 

Now you should have `/usr/local/bin/svn', so you can:

  $ cd wherever/you/keep/your/projects
  $ svn co http://svn.red-bean.com:8080/ale/trunk ale

That's it -- you now have a working copy of Ale.

The recipe to build ale from a working copy is:

   $ ./autogen.sh
   $ ./configure
   $ make
   # make install

(Of course you must have Emacs 21 installed on the system already).

Subversion's basic operations are the same as CVS's:

   "svn update"  ==  "cvs update"
   "svn commit"  ==  "cvs commit"
   "svn diff"    ==  "cvs diff"
   "svn status"  =~  "cvs status"

And you know where to ask questions... :-),
-Karl