Subject: Re: server got hung

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Aug 2002 10:57:12 -0500

Loredana Lo Conte <[email-masked]> writes:
> This email has garbage and also:

Whoa.  I have *no* idea what happened there.  It's not in my
automatically saved copy of the mail.

> gunzip: ale-0.1.186.tar.gz:decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored

Huh.  Doesn't happen for me; I can download and unpack it without any
"trailing garbage" error.

  $ gunzip --version
  gunzip 1.3.2  (2001-11-03)  [...]
  $ 

-Karl

---

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Aug 2002 10:59:04 -0500

> This email has garbage and also:

Loredana, this may be a bug in your mailreader...

The garbage you quoted from the end of my mail was followed by a
">"-quoted version of the *next* mail sent to [email-masked], which
was my commit email for revision 26.  So I conjecture that your
mailreader at some point conflated two separate mails, with null
bytes in between?

---

From: Loredana Lo Conte <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:56:26 +0100 (BST)

>   gunzip 1.3.2  (2001-11-03)  [...]

  % gunzip --version
gunzip 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93)
Compilation options:
DIRENT UTIME STDC_HEADERS HAVE_UNISTD_H ASMV

Mine is old, ok, but it didn't add garbage this morning... Can a package
get old in a day?

I downloaded ale-0.1.186.tar.gz and it does not have garbage in it. The
two tar files have the same size

-rw-rw-r--    1 loredana   983455 Aug 23 18:27 ale-0.1.186.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r--    1 loredana   983455 Aug 23 18:27 ale-0.1.186.tar.gz.0

but:

Binary files ale-0.1.186.tar.gz and ale-0.1.186.tar.gz.0 differ

Boh!

Loredana

---

From: Loredana Lo Conte <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:04:23 +0100 (BST)

Crossing messages.

> Loredana, this may be a bug in your mailreader...

Atch! "Our" system mail reader, to which I have no access at all. And
Monday is bank holiday...

> mailreader at some point conflated two separate mails, with null

But the strange thing is that I got a ale tarball with garbage, and
using wget. I still have the tarball, in case you are curious.

Boh!

Loredana

---

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Aug 2002 11:18:48 -0500

> using wget. I still have the tarball, in case you are curious.

Nope, not curious at all.

If it's not causing a problem with Ale itself, then it's just another
one of the hundreds of random unexpected computer events that I ignore
every day, as a matter of survival.

"Works For Me" :-).