Subject: Re: svn server down?

From: Loredana Lo Conte <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:47:45 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Karl,

It seems that the repository crashed in the middle of my commit:

% svn ci -F log-msg.txt

Sending        BUGS
Sending        lisp/gene-clipboard.el
svn: RA layer request failed
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: CHECKOUT of /ale/!svn/ver/5/trunk/lisp/gene-clipboard.el: timed out
waiting for server

I guess this means no partial commit.

Bob Rogers asked for a copy of ale, I am going to make a tarball for him
available somewhere at our web site for the moment.

Loredana

On 29 Oct 2002, Karl Fogel wrote:

> Loredana Lo Conte <[email-masked]> writes:
> > What's going on? The repository has been down for quite a while and I
> > got no reply to my previous email. Is everything ok?
> >
> > I feel the urgency of committing my changes :-)
>
> Sorry for the delay, I just wasn't checking mail for a bit.
>
> It's up now, at least I was able to update just now.  Sorry.  We
> bought a new machine on eBay, but it's having lockup problems (grrr),
> so not upgraded yet :-(.
>

---

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Oct 2002 19:47:40 -0600

> It seems that the repository crashed in the middle of my commit:

Wow.

Okay.  Time to face reality -- this is getting really unusable for
you.  We need to find another solution.

svn.red-bean.com is the only Subversion server we know of that's
having this problem.  No doubt it's some subtle bug in Subversion,
only stimulated in that particular environment, but we haven't been
able to figure it out yet.  There's no reason Ale development needs to
block on this, though.  Do you (or your group) have a machine on the
Net where I could set up a Subversion server?  It would help if I
could have temporary `root' or sudo access.  

If so, I am happy to do it this weekend, and we can make that the
repository server for Ale, at least for the time being.

-K

---

From: Loredana Lo Conte <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 08:16:35 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Karl,

I committed. It would be good if you can generate a new tarball.

As of hosting Ale here, there are several problems and I am not sure
there is also a solution.

Basically all MRC computers are behind a firewall. I have control of
three of them, one of which is outside the firewall. But that one
is also the scop server and I can't afford it crashing. We have about
500 different sites accessing the server every day for their research/
teaching and I can't use such a machine as if it were my personal
computer for risky activities :) I don't let anybody else using it here!

Though I can probably convince the system manager to put my own computer
outside the firewall, I am not sure I want to do that. We are a very
liberal institution and we were forced to put on a *fascist* firewall not
because we are fascist, but because enough of the ouside world is such
and makes impossible to work.

The third one is a laptop and does not qualify as a svn server by
definition.

In any case, this is horrible time for thinking of touching anything. I am
going to release scop next week and then go home for a long weekend (it is
my birthday and want to see how my father is doing).

Why don't we do the following? Can you find an svn server that can host
Ale for a while while you fix the problem? Alternatively, and I guess you
don't like the idea, can we use cvs for a while? Alternatively, can you
make your duty to check the server regularly and, if down, resurrect
it?

If none of the above works, let's wait until after I release scop and
come back. In the meanwhile it is unlikely I will have any time to work
on Ale. We 'l see then what can be done.

On a different subject:

Is it difficult to dump an Ale alignment in a colour postscript file? This
is an option that would be very useful to have available soon.

Loredana

---

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Nov 2002 14:42:09 -0600

> make your duty to check the server regularly and, if down, resurrect

Yes; I will figure out one of the above solutions, or some other
solution, while you are working on the scop release and then
vacationing.  (I can't do it immediately, but there are reasons for
hope: we actually bought a new Red Bean server machine, and are
setting it up.  It's having mysterious powerdown failures, that's why
it's not online yet, but those will get solved -- they have to, we
spent about $1000 on it! :-) ).

> is an option that would be very useful to have available soon.

Wow.  What does M-x ps-print-buffer do in an alignment buffer?

---

From: Loredana Lo Conte <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 10:58:26 +0000 (GMT)

> Wow.  What does M-x ps-print-buffer do in an alignment buffer?

I tried that, but even emacs does not perform miracles :) It does not
print sequence ids and it does wrap lines around the usual way, which
is not exactly what one would like to see in the case of an alignment.

I guess it is enough to provide a buffer with a properly massaged content
and then let ps-print do its usual job.

I also tried ps-print-buffer-with-faces, which is what one would really
like to do (print colors etc), but that does not seem to work for me (it
prints as many pages as necessary, with headers and nothing else). My
emacs version is 21.2.

Can you do me a favor? Can you try ps-print-buffer-with-faces yourself and
tell me whether it works for you? And perhaps suggest a way out if it does
not?

Also, can you make a new tarball for Ale?

Loredana

---

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Nov 2002 12:21:02 -0600

> tell me whether it works for you? And perhaps suggest a way out if it does

Will try it when get a chance, yes (tracking down Subversion bugs
right now :-) ).

> Also, can you make a new tarball for Ale?

Done, ale-0.1.188-35.tar.gz is up.  Thanks for putting the revision
number in the distribution name, that really helps.  Do we want to
prefix it with "r" or "rev", as in "ale-0.1.188-r35.tar.gz"?