Subject: Re: buffer-substring

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Oct 2002 06:18:26 -0500

Loredana Lo Conte <[email-masked]> writes:
> I think the properties where not returned at the time Ale was written
> based on old versions of emacs. This seems to be a new feature of emacs
> 21.2. There is a separate function, get-text-property, that is used
> in Ale to get properties when needed.
> 
> According to the documentation (emacs 20.5.1):
>
> [...]

Great research!  I didn't realize how much they had changed the
interface.  Yes, replacing all `buffer-substring' with
`buffer-substring-no-properties' makes sense, then.

> That's why I though safe to use the new function. In any case, is there
> a very simple way that you can tell me to execute the code with the
> "buffer-substring" call, to see what happens? (I mean, I can always figure
> out where buffer-substring is called and which function called that
> function and so on, but this is not a simple way, perhaps there is a
> simpler one.)

I don't know of any simple way to do this.  You just have to figure
out the code paths.  But I'd say, change them all and don't worry
until something breaks, in this particular case.

> I see what you mean ... Why are we all so busy? I suspect something is
> going badly wrong from a human point of view.

Yes, it is that we stopped living as hunter-gatherers.  All evil
stems from this mistake.

Oh well.