|Objective: To achieve rewarding and enjoyable employment in the sciences or software industry. |
- Astronomy Research Associate, University of Louisville Department of Physics and Astronomy, Louisville, KY (August 2011 - Present)
Developed and executed large-scale giant planet climatology simulations in C using supercomputing clusters. Synthesized novel analysis techniques of ground-based data sets in C and IDL to analyze giant planet atmospheric waves.
- Research Assistant, New Mexico State Astronomy Department, Las Cruces, NM (July 2004 - July 2011)
Extended large-scale giant planet climatology simulations to include novel radiative transfer routines written in C. Synthesized novel analysis techniques of observational spacecraft data in C and IDL to monitor giant planet atmospheric dynamics. Performed high-resolution spectroscopic observations of celestial objects with research-class telescopes at multiple observatories. Earned the Zia Award for Excellence in Research.
- Teaching Assistant, New Mexico State Astronomy Department, Las Cruces, NM (August 2004 - May 2008)
Taught undergraduate-level Introduction to Astronomy and Introduction to Planetary Science courses. Earned the Pegasus Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- Engineering Research Analyst, MIICRO, Inc. (now Abiant Imaging), Chicago, IL (June 2002 - July 2004)
Pioneered new inferential statistical analysis methods which mined neurological data for new insights. Generated and maintained Python code which parses clinical neurological data. Built a QA department from ground up. Acted as Test Lead for multiple java-based neuroimaging applications, generating test plans, maintaining stats, and performing test execution. Acted as webmaster. Created install applications for software.
- Technical Support Engineer, CollabNet, Chicago, IL (July 2001 - June 2002)
Generated and maintained web, email, and CVS statistics for all customer sites using Unix shell scripts and Python. Interacted with customers directly through email, conference calls, and bug-tracking to provide technical support for an open source Java-based code collaboration tool. Fixed bugs and assigned to developers as necessary. Practiced cradle-to-grave defect management across the entire software life-cycle.
- Quality Assurance Engineer, CollabNet, Chicago, IL (February 2001 - July 2001)
Established QA process for a network of developers creating code collaboration tool. Generated test plans and procedures, helped draft functional spec, coordinated group testing, performed miscellaneous black-box testing. Programmed Python scripts as part of an automated test suite for a new open source version control system.
- Physics Consultant, Onshore Corporation, Chicago, IL (May 1999 - July 1999)
Acted as a technical consultant on two exhibits modeling orbital motion currently on display at the Adler Planetarium. Designed physics algorithms simulating the many-body problem and collision detection. Programmed the vector physics engine of the exhibit in C.
- Quality Assurance Engineer, Inso Corporation / Intranet Solutions / Stellent, Chicago, IL (June 1998 - January 2001)
Performed test execution on several types of commercial software (including Quick View Plusİ and Outside In Serverİ) for Windows, Macintosh, and several Unix platforms. Wrote testcase specifications, including functional tests, stress tests, etc. Programmed in-house white-box test applications using C. Installed and prepared computers (WindowsNT) and web servers for testing, including Microsoft IIS, Netscape Enterprise Server, and Apache.
- Ph.D. in Astronomy, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM (2007-2011)
Thesis topic: Modeling Seasonal Change on Uranus with the EPIC GCM
- M.S. in Astronomy, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM (2004-2007)
Emphasis in Planetary Atmospheres, both theory and observation.
- B.A. in the Natural Sciences, Shimer College, Waukegan, IL.
Hutchins' Great Books curriculum. Graduated with distinction.
- Computer Platforms: All flavors of Windows, many flavors of
Unix (Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, SGI, DEC-UNIX, Linux), MacOS
- Computer Languages: C, Python, IDL, Unix shell scripting, HTML, etc.
- Other Computer Skills: Extensive image analysis skills, Installing and configuring web server
(Microsoft IIS 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0, Netscape Enterprise Server,
Apache). Installing and configuring Windows. PC hardware experience.
- Math and Physics: Theoretical and observational astrophysics, Vector calculus, Statistics, Differential equations, Fluid Mechanics, Newtonian
and quantum physics, Optics and detectors, Thermodynamics, Relativity, Linear algebra,
- Affiliations: Member of American Astronomical Society, Member of Division of Planetary Sciences.