[Arcana] Yow! Legally-imposed CULTURE-reduction is CABBAGE-BRAINED!

Roland McGrath roland at frob.com
Fri Jul 13 07:28:13 CDT 2007

So there was something positive about Emacs 22.  I can't remember what it was.
It's the new hotness.  I'm sure I wanted it.  It's undoubtedly good for me.
Fine.

I've already forgotten whatever random horrors there were that I had to
contend with before I could get started with my meager init files of
accreted hooey that has only needed the occasional tinkering at least since
I succumbed to version 19.  No big deal.

I got over the escalation of automatic angry fruit salad defaults that was
initially so, very, shocking.  I've nearly suppressed the memory of the bug
in the function interpreting whatever that new variable it is where you're
supposed to be able to make it not the default, where the documented case
of "fruit salad for only these few modes" clearly never worked at all.  I
don't think I even reported that one, I just put the fixed defun in some
init .el.  It's just such a glaring sign that the people working on Emacs
now are all insane.  Oh, right.  Well, I mean, not my kind of insane any
more.  Oh, right.

I really didn't mind that someone else finally rewrote compile.el (again)
before me to store info in text properties, like I'd been saying I should
do real soon now for only, oh, 15 years now.  Though it stabbed me in the
heart to know it, I could see the irony (and the reason) in its cool
parsing and text-property navigation features coming from color-bondage-mode.
I even suffered through the five options, four workarounds, and two hacks,
required to have compilation-mode simply work while not going flaming blind
looking at what these wippersnappers today call displaying the damn buffer.
C'est la vie.

I'm starting to come to terms with whatever cockamamy new text property
magic attached to the increasing colorization of my shell buffers
interferes with normal editting commands so that RET doesn't copy the whole
command line and C-k doesn't kill the whole line, and when you've yanked
text onto the command line it now changes what C-a and C-e mean until you
maneuver out of it, and god help you if you paste together pieces of three
different commands' outputs from the buffer onto a line and expect hitting
RET to just do what it did twenty years ago and run the command line you've
created.  Hey, that's life in the big city.

It's ok.  I think it's ok.  It's probably fine.  We still know who we are.
Sure, this can be fine.  There are always things you can rely on, things in
the world that go in their place, and their being there keeps you safe, the
touchstones of our lives.

M-x yow produces only one result.  M-x insert-zippyism has No completions!
apropos-zippy searches can find no wisdom.  My outgoing email has been
brutally sabotaged for weeks!

Gentlemen, it's not ok any more.  It's the 21st century, and I'm taking
this goddamn hovercar back to the dealer and telling him I never should
have traded in the Dodge Dartre!

It doesn't help to investigate.  All you learn is that it's not just
another bug, it's a CAPITULATION to INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY demands of
BIG COMIC STRIP AUTHORING.  That's a functional regression on such a
monumental scale that mere MALFEASANT MISFUNCTION of CABBAGE-BRAINED
Lisp programming can never hold a CANDLE to it.

I don't really know why we should go on.