[Arcana] Yow! Legally-imposed CULTURE-reduction is CABBAGE-BRAINED!

John Grabowski johng at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jul 15 14:20:17 CDT 2007

I miss you, Roland.

I remember about 17 years ago when, as a freshman in college, I
discovered your init files.  How exciting it was to see ALL these ways
you became more efficient than EVERYONE ELSE!  I also remember blowing
my disk quota on Athena just by copying them over.  I probably still
have your if18 and if19 macros somewhere... not that they are needed
anymore.

Over the years, I transitioned my complete lifestyle to Emacs.  Browse
the web, read mail, reassemble split-up porn pictures from netnews, and
so on.  And it was great!

About 1997, I remember a blog entry from jwz discussing his addition of
the mail client to Netscape.  I believe he said something like "no app
is a real app until it can read mail".  Knowing nothing of his history,
you could still tell from his mindset that he had emacs in his blood.

Sometime around 2001, however, I transitioned away.  Perhaps it was the
new job; the company used Lotus Notes (!!)  for email.  With no POP or
IMAP client available, I simply couldn't continue with emacs as a mail
reader.  And the shift away from text-centricity on the web made it
harder to browse.

Today (2007), a browser is the new emacs.  In addition to browsing, you
can do lots of other stuff emacs could do: gmail for mail; shockwave for
games; and flash video for porn.  It's everything you need... right?

Of course not.  With emacs, I had love.  With a browser I still burn
with anger.  Consider my signature in every email, "<TAB>-johng", which
I've been using for 17 years.  With comcast web email, <TAB> switches
focus from email text to the "Send:" button.  Stop stealing my fucking
tab key!  I'll just remap it... uh... hmm... can't.  That's not good.

Roland, it's OK to fight with your "girlfriend".  But remember that she
loves you and will always be there for you.  And she won't steal your
tabs... unless you ask her to.

    -johng