[Arcana] what is 'no gnus 0.6'?

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Fri Aug 8 21:10:06 CDT 2008

David Carlton <carlton at bactrian.org> writes:
> I just tried to get Gnus working on sp.  One of the steps that I did
> involved installing the 'gnus' package that Debian has; when I did
> that and ran Gnus, it wanted to upgrade me from Gnus 5.9.6 (or
> something like that) to No Gnus 0.6.
>
> What is No Gnus?  I'd never heard of it before, and googling isn't
> enlightening me much.
>
> I removed the package and found a different way to get Gnus installed
> for my own use, by the way, so it shouldn't be interfering with
> anybody else who happens to use Gnus on sp.

You want to run Gnus on sp, instead of on your local machine?  That's
surprising; I'm curious why!

I get the feeling that "No Gnus" is just Lars Mange Ingebrigtsen's sense
of humor getting the better of him, and is a code name for the next
release.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnus seems to confirm this:

   "The current development version which will be released as Gnus 5.12
    was begun on Jan 4, 2004 and is called No Gnus."

I just run Emacs from the its CVS trunk.  Gnus is included there, so
there's no separate package to install.

-Karl