[Arcana] what is 'no gnus 0.6'?

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Fri Aug 8 23:08:51 CDT 2008

David Carlton <carlton at bactrian.org> writes:
> Huh, interesting - was he willing to assign copyright to the FSF, or
> does the FSF now allow redistribution of non-copyright-assigned elisp?
> (Hmm, maybe I'm confusing him with the vm author.  But Gnus wasn't
> alway distributed with FSF Emacs, was it?)

It looks like he assigned copyright.  The header of gnus.el (one of ten
zillion files in the lisp/gnus/ subdirectory of my source tree) says:

;;; gnus.el --- a newsreader for GNU Emacs

;; Copyright (C) 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998,
;;   2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

;; Author: Masanobu UMEDA <umerin at flab.flab.fujitsu.junet>
;;	Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi at gnus.org>

;; This file is part of GNU Emacs.

;; GNU Emacs is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;; the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
;; (at your option) any later version.

;; GNU Emacs is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the

;; along with GNU Emacs.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.