[Arcana] problems with <deletechar>?

David Carlton carlton at bactrian.org
Thu Dec 25 00:08:17 CST 2008

I recently upgraded to a GNU Emacs snapshot (on Linux), and when logging
in from a Mac terminal, I've found that the key labelled 'delete' no
longer does what I want - Emacs seems to think it's something called
<deletechar> (rather than, say, DEL), and the bindings are all wrong.
(Forward rather than backward.)

So far I've figured out how to global-set-key that key to run
delete-backward-char rather than delete-char, but that doesn't handle,
say, M-delete, or typing the key in the middle of an I-search.  Is there
any way to convince Emacs to treat that key as being the same as DEL in
all contexts, so I get all the goodness I expect?  (I don't even know
what the terminal and Emacs are doing to conspire to get Emacs to label
the keystroke as <deletechar>.)  The manual suggests that
(normal-erase-is-backspace-mode 0) might do the trick, but it doesn't
have any effect for me.

For what it's worth, $TERM is xterm-color, and C-q<delete> inserts ^?.

David Carlton
carlton at bactrian.org