[Arcana] problems with <deletechar>?

David Carlton carlton at bactrian.org
Mon Dec 29 15:50:12 CST 2008

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 16:05:55 -0800 (PST), Roland McGrath
<roland at frob.com> said:

(While writing this, I figured out a workaround, see a response that I'm
about to send Jim.)

> function-key-map

The relevant bits seem to be:

 (kp-delete .
	    [127])
 (delete .
	 [127])
 (backspace .
	    [127])

> key-translation-map

(keymap
 (24 keymap
     (56 . iso-transl-ctl-x-8-map)))

> keyboard-translate-table

#^[nil nil keyboard-translate-table
       #^^[3 0 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil 8 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil 127]
       #^^[1 0
	     #^^[2 0
		   #^^[3 0 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil 8 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil 127]
		   nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil]
	     nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil]
       nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil]

> and however many more they've added in 23.

And of course I'm using some random snapshot (from October 13), which
may or may not have anything to do with the trunk.

And, of course, the string 'deletechar' appears nowhere in the above.
Which frustrates me.  Adding to my frustration is the my inability to
figure out how to set up a key binding so that escape delete does what I
want (accepting for now that I can't get rid of this deletechar crap).
I naively tried

(global-set-key [M-deletechar] 'backward-kill-word)

but that doesn't work; C-h k escape delete gives me:

"ESC <deletechar> (translated from M-DEL) is undefined".

Whee.  (Notice the charming touch that the "translated from" bit is
EXACTLY WHAT I WANT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.)

Ah well, I've got a workaround now.  Thanks for the suggestions from
everybody.

David Carlton
carlton at bactrian.org