[Arcana] problems with <deletechar>?

David Carlton carlton at bactrian.org
Mon Dec 29 15:53:56 CST 2008

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 00:01:00 -0800, "Jim Blandy" <jimb at red-bean.com> said:

> 1) You might want to see if there is a terminal type that better
> matches your Mac.  There may not be.

Thanks for the suggestion, rxvt seems to work.

Which I wouldn't have figured out on my own, but I discovered it via
<http://www.borkware.com/quickies/one?topic=emacs>.  Fun tip: if you
just google for 'emacs deletechar', Google insists on showing matches
for delete-char, of which there are a zillion, almost none relevant.
But if you go into advanced search, you can get it to be a bit pickier;
apparently a normal search for 'emacs "deletechar"' also does what I
want.

So now one export TERM=rxvt in my Mac .bash_profile and I'm all set.

Thanks to everybody who chimed in!
David Carlton
carlton at bactrian.org