[Arcana] bonus question

Aaron S. Hawley aaron.s.hawley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 12:59:15 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM, David Carlton <carlton at bactrian.org> wrote:

> Another question (which isn't related to my XEmacs->GNU Emacs switch,
> but which has been bugging me for a while): say I do C-y M-y M-y M-y.
> Then I type some more, then do C-y again.  What I wish would happen is
> that the same text was inserted that was inserted the first time I did
> C-y; in fact, though the text from my last M-y was inserted.
>
> I guess I can do something like C-y C-u-3M-y; I don't suppose there's
> a way to get the kill ring to reset like I want, is there?

After you do the series of C-y M-y M-y ... type M-w to put the
inserted text back at the top of the kill ring.  To be honest I had
never noticed that yank sets the region -- point and mark -- to the
yanked text, so it becomes trivial to use M-w to put the text you want
on the kill ring.  Seems wasteful to duplicate something already on
the kill ring, however.

/a