[Arcana] favorite html mode in GNU Emacs?

David Carlton carlton at bactrian.org
Sun Jun 1 22:19:37 CDT 2008

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 23:10:51 -0400, Karl Fogel <kfogel at red-bean.com> said:

> If you could list the things you used to get (that you liked) from
> `html-helper-mode' in XEmacs, that might help.  Just populating a
> new .html file with a template ought to be pretty easy (assuming
> "C-x i" isn't easy enough already).

That's right, it's not easy enough - that will amount to a good ten
keystrokes or so. :-) I'm used to having it automatically update a
"Last modified" timestamp at the bottom of my web pages, though I
honestly don't know if I still think that's a good idea.  (At the
least, I'd like for them to continue to be updated when I edit old
pages that already have them.)  I don't like the fact that GNU Emacs,
when inserting hyperlink elements, prompts me for the href value
instead of having me type that in the buffer.  Getting indentation
right is good, which GNU Emacs does manage; actually, XEmacs was
getting that wrong, because it was unhappy with something about my
DTDs and refused to have a sensible fallback.  (So I don't want too
much cleverness!)

Maybe the simplest answer is just to write a hook to insert a template
on a new file, to override the hyperlink command, and not to worry
about it too much otherwise...  But if there are other modes out there
that people are actively fond of, I'd like to give them a try.

David Carlton
carlton at bactrian.org