[Arcana] emacs file encoding question, plus a bonus question

Jim Blandy jimb at red-bean.com
Sun Jun 1 22:48:46 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 8:13 PM, David Carlton <carlton at bactrian.org> wrote:
> Another problem with my XEmacs->GNU Emacs switch: every time I save my
> .bbdb file, I get a complaint about a coding mismatch.

Do you have non-ASCII characters in your BBDB?  If not, have you tried
exiting Emacs, deleting the "coding" line (I think that's what's
called the "coding cookie"), and then restarting Emacs and using BBDB?

If you do have non-ASCII characters in your BBDB, then I'm not quite
sure what to do.  Perhaps start with a fresh Emacs, visit the file
(letting the coding cookie set the file's encoding), get the buffer
marked modified, and then save it again?

> Another question (which isn't related to my XEmacs->GNU Emacs switch,
> but which has been bugging me for a while): say I do C-y M-y M-y M-y.
> Then I type some more, then do C-y again.  What I wish would happen is
> that the same text was inserted that was inserted the first time I did
> C-y; in fact, though the text from my last M-y was inserted.
>
> I guess I can do something like C-y C-u-3M-y; I don't suppose there's
> a way to get the kill ring to reset like I want, is there?

The code doesn't seem to show any allowance for that.  'current-kill'
is the function that decides which text to return; it always consults
and updates kill-ring-yank-pointer, unless it's passed the optional
do-not-move argument --- which none of the normal yanking commands
ever do.  Killing a new string does reset the yank pointer, though, if
that helps.