[Arcana] bonus question

David Carlton carlton at bactrian.org
Mon Jun 2 13:15:40 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 13:59:15 -0400, "Aaron S. Hawley" <aaron.s.hawley at gmail.com> said:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM, David Carlton <carlton at bactrian.org> wrote:

>> Another question (which isn't related to my XEmacs->GNU Emacs switch,
>> but which has been bugging me for a while): say I do C-y M-y M-y M-y.
>> Then I type some more, then do C-y again.  What I wish would happen is
>> that the same text was inserted that was inserted the first time I did
>> C-y; in fact, though the text from my last M-y was inserted.
>>
>> I guess I can do something like C-y C-u-3M-y; I don't suppose there's
>> a way to get the kill ring to reset like I want, is there?

> After you do the series of C-y M-y M-y ... type M-w to put the
> inserted text back at the top of the kill ring.  To be honest I had
> never noticed that yank sets the region -- point and mark -- to the
> yanked text, so it becomes trivial to use M-w to put the text you want
> on the kill ring.  Seems wasteful to duplicate something already on
> the kill ring, however.

Unless I'm missing something, that's an improvement but not a complete
solution: it will put the text from the last yank on the kill ring,
instead of the text from the first yank.  But it's an improvement in
that another M-y will bring me back to the first yank, instead of
having to figure out what negative numeric argument to use.

David Carlton
carlton at bactrian.org