[Arcana] turn off the splash screen when starting GNU Emacs

David Carlton carlton at bactrian.org
Mon Jun 2 19:19:57 CDT 2008

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 19:59:50 -0400, Karl Fogel <kfogel at red-bean.com> said:
> David Carlton <carlton at bactrian.org> writes:

>> When I open Emacs to edit a file, I'd prefer to just see the file,
>> instaed of seeing a splash screen (until I hit a keystroke).  Can I
>> turn off the splash screen?

> ...M-x apropros splash RET...

> Yup, try setting `inhibit-splash-screen' to non-nil.

Ack, I got caught up trying to figure out fancy-splash-screen, and
somehow missed that one at the bottom.  Thanks!

Hmm, I miss the behavior that I'm used to of seeing the splash screen
if I don't pass a filename but not seeing it if I do.  And my
*scratch* buffer looks naked now!  :-)  Oh well, I'll get used to
it...

David Carlton
carlton at bactrian.org