[Arcana] emacs file encoding question, plus a bonus question

David Carlton carlton at bactrian.org
Tue Jun 3 00:22:56 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 11:40:14 -0700, "Jim Blandy" <jimb at red-bean.com> said:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:06 AM, David Carlton <carlton at bactrian.org> wrote:

>>> Do you have non-ASCII characters in your BBDB?
>>
>> Probably.  Hmm, what's the easiest way to check for that?  There
>> should be some one-line way of doing it, I'm just not coming up with
>> one off the top of my head...

> There may be some spiffy MULE way to do it, but I'd just search for
> [^NUL-DEL], entering C-q C-@ for NUL and C-q DEL for DEL.

Hmm, I can't get DEL to register that way. :-(

>> I don't know where utf-8-emacs was ever defined as a valid coding
>> system, but it isn't in current GNU Emacs versions.  And I don't know
>> how to define a new coding system offhand, and the info pages didn't
>> seem to help.  I tried redefining bbdb-file-coding-system, but that
>> didn't work, for reasons that may or may not have to do with the fact
>> htat it's a defconst instead of defvar?

> Since it's been so long since the last Emacs release, I suspect many
> people are running Emacs out of CVS; I am.  (If you want to do this,
> don't hesitate to ask for help.)  And in my emacs,
> (coding-system-p 'utf-8-emacs) -> t.

Ah, well.  I guess I'll have to think about what my goals are in
switching to GNU Emacs...  It does seem that Ubuntu provides an
emacs-snapshot package, so I would be able to run that without putting
myself completely at the mercy of CVS.  (I don't follow Emacs
development, so I have no idea what the latter is like.)

(It's been so long since the last Emacs release?  The first 22.1 came
out less than a year ago, 22.2 came out less than three months ago,
which sounds pretty good to me.  Did 22 branch a lot earlier than that
or something?)

David Carlton
carlton at bactrian.org