[Arcana] emacs file encoding question, plus a bonus question

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Tue Jun 3 07:27:58 CDT 2008

David Carlton <carlton at bactrian.org> writes:
> Ah, well.  I guess I'll have to think about what my goals are in
> switching to GNU Emacs...  It does seem that Ubuntu provides an
> emacs-snapshot package, so I would be able to run that without putting
> myself completely at the mercy of CVS.  (I don't follow Emacs
> development, so I have no idea what the latter is like.)

For what it's worth, I'm also running [appx] latest CVS at all times,
and haven't had any serious problems.  In fact, for good stretches of
time it's been missing bugs that I knew to be present in the most recent
stable release (such as a nasty find-file-hangs-on-directories bug).

Of course, this may have a lot to do with what packages one tends to
use.

-Karl