[Arcana] bonus question

Aaron S. Hawley aaron.s.hawley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 11:40:31 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:15 PM, David Carlton <carlton at bactrian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 13:59:15 -0400, "Aaron S. Hawley" <aaron.s.hawley at gmail.com> said:
>> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM, David Carlton <carlton at bactrian.org> wrote:
>
>>> Another question (which isn't related to my XEmacs->GNU Emacs switch,
>>> but which has been bugging me for a while): say I do C-y M-y M-y M-y.
>>> Then I type some more, then do C-y again.  What I wish would happen is
>>> that the same text was inserted that was inserted the first time I did
>>> C-y; in fact, though the text from my last M-y was inserted.
>>>
>>> I guess I can do something like C-y C-u-3M-y; I don't suppose there's
>>> a way to get the kill ring to reset like I want, is there?
>
>> After you do the series of C-y M-y M-y ... type M-w to put the
>> inserted text back at the top of the kill ring.  To be honest I had
>> never noticed that yank sets the region -- point and mark -- to the
>> yanked text, so it becomes trivial to use M-w to put the text you want
>> on the kill ring.  Seems wasteful to duplicate something already on
>> the kill ring, however.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, that's an improvement but not a complete
> solution: it will put the text from the last yank on the kill ring,
> instead of the text from the first yank.

I implicitly thought I had understood your complaint, because I have
made the same observation about Emacs.  However, I didn't have the
problem characterized accurately well enough in my head and skipped
your detailed description.  I should have read your entire description
of the problem more carefully.  Misreading directions has been a
problem for me since grade school.

>  But it's an improvement in
> that another M-y will bring me back to the first yank, instead of
> having to figure out what negative numeric argument to use.

Wow, I didn't intend that, but what a wonderful side-effect.

/a