[Arcana] the travelling salesman problem solved!

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Fri Mar 21 16:11:01 CDT 2008

Jim Blandy wrote:

> I'm kind of concerned about Emacs's lack of support for sophisticated
> code analysis.

I wouldn't get too worked up over it.  Microsoft's Intellisense is nice,
to be sure, but it's not often much faster than keying M-/ a few times.
 It has all kinds of nifty-looking abilities, like being able to figure
out what the possible completions are for an argument to a function
based on the type of that argument and the types of the variables
currently in scope, but ... it doesn't really make a lick of difference.

Even on a multi-million-line code base, Emacs does great without any
especially fancy extensions.  I don't even bother using cscope any more,
just M-x grep and M-/.  If I set LANG to C, I can find identifiers in 25
million lines of code in quarter of a second using grep.

I might still be using flint hand axes, but the difference is that I've
moved from using my arm to a 10MJ railgun that launches them with a
sabot at Mach 7.

	<b