[Arcana] the travelling salesman problem solved!

Jim Blandy jimb at red-bean.com
Fri Mar 21 17:58:27 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com> wrote:
> Jim Blandy wrote:
>
>  > I'm kind of concerned about Emacs's lack of support for sophisticated
>  > code analysis.
>
>  I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

You're not the first person I've heard say that.  Tom Tromey said that
he'd used Eclipse on Java --- the editor there really understands the
language, too --- and then went back to Emacs, with a similar
reaction: it's cool, but not actually that important in practice.

I use idutils with patches to not go into an infinite loop when
presented with Emacs Lisp code, and patches to make M-x gid present a
proper grep-like buffer and to make M-* work after I've chosen
something from that buffer.  I have to admit, it seems fine to me.

But I've looked through cc-engine.el and stuff, and it just seems like
not that much less work than a real analysis.

I've also heard a different account from an acquaintance here in
Portland, of the more serious Windows shops really getting a lot of
mileage out of the Microsoft tools, keeping their code legible, etc.
But hearing rumors is not the same as groking the experience enough to
reproduce it oneself in the Free world.