[Arcana] the travelling salesman problem solved!

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Fri Mar 21 20:25:44 CDT 2008

Jim> I've become the Emacs guru at Mozilla.

Nice!  Though it rules out a possible future job for me :(

I knew a woman once who was lobbying to be artist in residence at
xerox or someplace like that.  I'm not sure why but the above made me
remember that.

Jim> What could people do with Emacs Lisp if Emacs really understood
Jim> the code it was looking at?  Automatic function argument help?
Jim> Structure member name completion?  Static checks for satisfied
Jim> coding conventions?

Yeah, all that and more.  Instantly up-to-date, semantically correct
tag support.  Refactoring.  In Eclipse I often did searches like "find
all callers of X", that can be really handy.

What I wanted in Eclipse was compiler knowledge to find locations,
then elisp and regex hacking to modify the code -- or at least
something lighter weight than writing a @#$# plugin.

Tried CEDET yet?  It is amazing in its way, though for some reason the
author has not focused much on, you know, actually making it do
anything useful.  The cool technology just grinds pointlessly away in
the background.  AFAICT.

Tom