[Arcana] Because it just kills me to type C-x b *com TAB RET when I don't really have to.

Roland McGrath roland at frob.com
Fri Mar 13 00:35:41 CDT 2009

> Roland McGrath <roland at frob.com> writes:
> > It was very nice that I could use C-h k <think it in Russian> followed by
>
> "snik" ?

I can't actually think in Russian or read even a little of it, so I have no
idea what you are talking about.  Googlic numeral one of "think in russian"
is helpfully thinkinrussian.org, which is a rampantly insane site about
exactly what I was alluding to.

I assume that arcanists grok the scenario to which I was referring with
that allusion.  That is, I have no idea what any keybindings are.
Occasionally I can think of what a function is called, and use C-h w.  Most
of the time I have no verbal, visual, or any such kind of assocation with
an Emacs command.  All I can do is think, "I want a compilation," and then
watch what my fingers do (or fail to notice and then use C-h l).  For
common "actions" like "go over there" I really have no idea what collection
of keystrokes I actually use, and really need C-h l to examine the sequence
of character, word, sentence, and paragraph motion commands, C-u C-u
prefixes, and so on that my finger-eyeball loop does to achieve the thought
"go over there".