[Arcana] buffer-mode-histogram

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Thu Nov 10 12:44:45 CST 2011

Jim Blandy <jimb at red-bean.com> writes:
>On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Roland McGrath <roland at frob.com> wrote:
>> Note that the work Emacs below is only ~10 days old.
>> The median life of a session for me is more like a month or two.

I don't have long-lived Emacsen any more, because I'm constantly
switching venues and have a machine at each venue (instead of carrying a
machine from venue to venue).  But FWIW my stats are below.

A while ago, I started working on a system `kf-instrument', where
"instrument" is a verb, in the debugging/code-watching sense.  The plan
is that every one of the custom-written functions in my .emacs will
invoke `kf-instrument' first thing.  `kf-instrument' will add that
invocation to a long-running (and cross-session) counter, so I can see
which functions I use the most often.

It's not done yet.  It is recording the invocations, but it isn't saving
the records between sessions yet, so all the data disappears every time
I exit Emacs.

-K

24          fundamental ++++++++++++++++++++++++
 2  minibuffer-inactive ++
 1 gnus-original-article +
 1              message +
 1              outline +