[Arcana] More Emacs love.

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Wed Jul 25 11:09:22 CDT 2012

"Aaron S. Hawley" <aaron.s.hawley at gmail.com> writes:
>It would seem this is a reinvention of `C-.' in Flyspell Mode.  I
>imagine the art of spell checking is checking for transpositions, in
>addition to missing or extra characters.

Oh, so *that's* what flyspell does!

Thanks :-).

In my personal mentiverse, I think I classify spelling errors and typos
as unrelated phenomena.  The former is "I'm not sure how to spell this
word" while the latter is "my fingers stumbled".  Since in practice I'm
using this command to fix up after finger stumbles, not to test
hypotheses about spelling (I use ispell for that), it never occurred to
me that a thing called "flyspell" might be useful for that problem.

It's more "C-;" (`flyspell-auto-correct-previous-word') than "C-."
(`flyspell-auto-correct-word'), by the way.

>This is what I have in my .emacs
>
>(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-flyspell)
>(add-hook 'prog-mode-hook 'flyspell-prog-mode)
>
>Works well for me.

I tried it just now, and it came close, but (coughs modestly) I have to
say I think what I wrote is better for my use case.  Flyspell seems to
offer me a bunch of options down at the bottom.  That's a bit of a lose.
I don't want my eye to travel from the word I'm fixing over to some
other place on the screen.  I want to maintain visual focus on the word,
while using repeated (if necessary) keystrokes to reach a known goal.
(I think it only offers the screen-bottom stuff when there are multiple
options, but in a way that's worse, because it's unpredictable.)

>Your TODO item on multi-word typos ("fis hfood") is something Flyspell
>annoyingly doesn't solve.  Space transposition is the real social ill
>and we need a cure.

Agreed.  I'm waiting for the right long airplane flight for that one.

HA.  Hilariously, while writing that, I typed "fo rthat".  Since I was
experimenting with flyspell [1], I typed C-; to see how it would handle
it.  It did something weird and inexplicable and totally useless, so I
undid the damage and just did M-b C-t M-f, which fixed it, except that
thanks to flyspell, the "fo" of "for" remained highlighted in red even
now that the two words are correct.  <backs where="away" rate="slowly"/>

-K

[1] Mistyped that too: "flysplel".  Running C-; immediately after it
    didn't fix it -- it gave me "flyspeck" instead.  See also
    http://www.rants.org/2012/02/24/i-wouldnt-have-thought-of-that-either/