[Arcana] More Emacs love.

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Fri Jul 27 13:42:11 CDT 2012

Jim Blandy <jimb at red-bean.com> writes:
>It seems to me there are two distinct questions here:
>
>1) Does the messaging mechanism require eye travel?
>
>2) Does the messaging mechanism obscure the content?
>
>The minibuffer fails the first test, which was your original
>complaint.
>
>A messaging system that *inserted itself* into the display, shifting
>the content down or otherwise out of the way (strictly for display;
>the content would be untouched), would pass both tests.

Probably would, although there are issues of predictability -- as long
as the content or the message is placed somewhere predictable and
nearby, every time, it could work.

For example, if the minibuffer line always inserted itself as the line
below point, when interactive input were required, I think that might
work really well.  Hard to know for sure without trying it, of course.

-K