[Arcana] More Emacs love.

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Fri Jul 27 13:47:01 CDT 2012

Jim Blandy <jimb at red-bean.com> writes:
>I see: even if your eye were drawn to the next line, that would still
>be further than it's drawn with your UI.
>
>How are you going to be discoverable if your eye needn't move at all,
>but you can't cover anything?

Not sure I understand the question -- what's the "you" here?  The
feature itself?

If so, the answer is that I think there's an inevitable tradeoff between
interfaces whose features are discoverable (i.e., friendly to newcomers)
and interfaces whose features do not distract when not invoked (i.e.,
friendly to long-time users who make an investment).

A UI can be easy to use when first encountered, or it can reward
investment.  But I don't think it can consistently do both.  At least,
the two ways will come into conflict pretty often.  And I'm not saying
one way is better than the other, in case that wasn't obvious.

Immature fields talk about "good" vs "bad".  Mature fields talk about
tradeoffs.  It has ever been thus.