[Arcana] More Emacs love.

Jim Blandy jimb at red-bean.com
Sat Jul 28 14:50:19 CDT 2012

On Jul 27, 2012 7:01 PM, "Roland McGrath" <roland at frob.com> wrote:
> Someone asked me what I thought of the new-style gdb-mode interface (I
> think it came in with 23?).  I instantly replied that I couldn't stand it
> and upon first upgrading to the Emacs version that visited it upon me, I
> went to all necessary pains to defang that crap and get back my
traditional
> old gdb-mode behavior.

Hah - me, too. Although in my case I ran into completely blatant bugs
(like, an inability to handle any input text that contains double quotes,
for Angelo's sake). I didn't have a chance to object to the superior
display arrangement.

> All I want is source location pop-to-buffer and C-x
> SPC to work and the rest I'll do with normal gdb commands (I can't think
of
> a single gdb-mode key binding that I ever actually use, beyond the common
> comint stuff).

I know a lot of the best hackers use the screen completely differently from
the way I do. It makes me really wonder how much I understand.

I think I was ruined by the early Macintosh interface into dreaming that
everything should always be as clear as a Tufte-designed chart, no matter
what query just popped into my head. Since then, I've been impatient and
annoyed with things that make me read carefully - a terrible habit for
someone hoping to work on the front lines of tech, where things are not so
well-civilized.