[Arcana] More Emacs love.

Jim Blandy jimb at red-bean.com
Sat Jul 28 14:58:30 CDT 2012

On Jul 28, 2012 12:32 PM, "Karl Fogel" <kfogel at red-bean.com> wrote:
> Are you sure that's true?  We're very experienced with a particular kind
> of UI.  There is a class of UI designers who concentrate on a different
> style of UI (newbie-oriented UIs) who sometimes mistakenly think that
> "newbie-friendly" and "good" are synonyms.  Those people are usually
> horrified when they see how Emacs works.  Since people who use Emacs as
> it needs to be used -- treating it as an "investment user interface" --
> have a pretty good experience with it, I'm skeptical of any UI designer
> who doesn't understand the tradeoffs behind that fact.  Which is a lot
> of UI designers, in my experience.

You're not straw-manning here? Fine, so imagine we're talking to a great UI
designer, who gets Emacs.

We have experience *using* interfaces, but much less experience *designing*
them. Users always feel boxed in where good designers see options.

Why the emphasis on discoverability? I wanted your smart-transpose feature
in my own Emacs, built-in, but I know Emacs has so much wonderful stuff
already that I don't know about that I knew that if your stuff had gone in
upstream, I still wouldn't have known about it.