[Arcana] Being clear about this.

Jim Blandy jimb at red-bean.com
Mon Jul 30 19:46:37 CDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Karl Fogel <kfogel at red-bean.com> wrote:
> Yeah -- it makes me kind of respect the Gnome 3 team too, even though
> (so far) I really dislike what they did with Gnome.  They knew there
> were going to be complaints, and they forged ahead anyway because they
> thought they had a winning interface for the long term.  (Jim, if I
> understand correctly, you rather like it, so who knows, I could just be
> the house interface curmudgeon).

Well, I wish focus-follows-mouse worked property with the
switch-to-application hot key.

But I really like:

1) Being able to make windows occupy the full screen, or the left or
right half of the screen, by smashing them against the top/left/right
edge. This is what I've always wanted.

2) Being able to bring up apps with "<F1> <type any unambiguous
prefix, matches shown incrementally> RET". This, at last, is a GUI
that is *faster* for around five of my commonly-used applications than
the shell, with excellent discoverability.

3) Completion in step 2) searches the *brief descriptions* of items,
too. So if I hit "<F1> shortcut" I get the keyboard configurator
thingy: even though it's called 'keyboard', its short description
includes 'keyboard shortcuts', so it shows up. I don't know what half
my stuff is named any more, and I don't care.

4) Switching applications quickly with the aforementioned
switch-to-application hot key.

Here is a GUI that doesn't assume that using the mouse is some
personal goal of mine.