[Lispweb] www.fast-index.com

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Tue Jun 12 11:38:09 CDT 2001

"Craig Brozefsky" <craig at red-bean.com> writes:
> "Marc Battyani" <marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com> writes:
>
> > Yes, it would be nice if we could use cookies... But as I generally
disable
> > them (and I clear them often), I know it's not reliable.
> > Using URI encoding for session tracking works well excepted when the URI
is
> > bookmarked or archived in a search engine.
> > I would also welcome some ideas on the subject....
>
> Dpeending on how you encoe your state into the session, and how much
> other information is stored in the URI, one can just discard the
> session-id and recalculate the page in a new context if the original
> session has timed out.  The difficulty is coming up with a scheme that
> fits these requirements.

The session ID is a plist encoded in a modified base64 (changed the encoding
character vector to confuse the cryptographic newbies).
So I can put whatever I need in the session URI. ie (:session-id 5643 :user
"marc" :state "logged" :language "French")

> > Could you give more info about this? It's not my experience.  In
> > mod_lisp 2.0, I keep the Apache <-> Lisp socket open and I haven't
> > found any problems so far. As it's a direct Apache -> Lisp
> > connection, if the Lisp process is dead then your server is dead but
> > it's the same in your case. If it's only the processing of a request
> > that is dead then this page is stuck but the server is still alive
> > for other requests. When the user try to reload the page, a new
> > connection is made. As we are in Lisp and not in lesser language we
> > can correctly trap errors in the Lisp process and reply an error
> > page without closing or blocking the Apache connection.  I've found
> > a very big improvement by not closing the socket. On the benchmarks
> > I've done, I've got a factor going from x 40 to x 80 !
>
> I can't wait to get IMHO running on top of mod_lisp. We're using
> mod_webapp now and the error handling ont he C side is just
> atrocious.

Thanks, I hope I will do better... ;-)
Anyway as it's dedicated to Lisp I will accept any improvements to it.
It's in currently in test at http://dev.fractalconcept.com/asp/debug and
http://dev.fractalconcept.com/asp/fixed.html
I got a more than 400 hits in the few hours following the posting of the
URIs in c.l.l. (a popular news group!)
So far so good.

Marc