[Lispweb] Mod_lisp 2.0 released

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Sun Jun 17 18:38:15 CDT 2001

I just released mod_lisp 2.0 here :
http://www.fractalconcept.com/asp/mod_lisp
mod_lisp is an Apache module to easily write web applications in Lisp.

It has been completely re-written and now it reuses the Apache <-> Lisp
sockets, boosting performance by a factor of up to 80.

mod_lisp talk from Apache to lisp processes by sockets with a very
straightforward protocol to handle a request. It now reuses the Apache to
Lisp sockets for improved performance. Future versions will probably be more
Lisp specific, but for now it can be used by any other language.

Why mod_lisp?

-The Lisp servers are application servers. I don't want to bother the Lisp
applications with things like serving gif or jpeg files or even static pages
in some cases. Using mod_lisp I can separate the HTTP servers from the
application servers.
The architecture I am promoting is like this: One or more Apache front ends
to serve static content (like images), one or more Lisp application servers
to process the application logic and databases servers to store the data.

-Time is the scarcest resource so I don't want to waste it to implement
things like SSL (though an SSL implementation in Lisp is useful for other
purposes), keeping up to date with HTTP protocols etc. The Apache people do
this with a sufficient quality, I don't see any interest to do it myself.

-I can benefit from the Apache modules if I need them (mod_gzip for
instance)

-The market acceptance is quite better. It's really easier to sell an Apache
+ FreeBSD + (Postgresql or Oracle) + Lisp solution than a Lisp + FreeBSD +
(Postgresql or Oracle) solution. In the first case Lisp is perceived as yet
another web language like Perl, Python and others. In the second case you
have to advocate the use of Lisp.

-mod_lisp is released under a FreeBSD style license.

-It's easier to work on a project where the Lisp web application is only a
part of a web site.

It's in a beta stage. So please report the bugs you can find to me so that I
can include them. (you can also report to me the English mistakes I have
made in the mod_lisp pages...)

Marc