[Lispweb] Mod_lisp 2.0 released

mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jun 17 21:54:28 CDT 2001

IIRC stands for If I Recall Correctly, and IIRC, it is a very common internet
abbreviation.

Jakarta-Tomcat is the reference implementation of "Java Servlets".  I
suggest you read about it at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/index.html
and then decide its relevance to the discussion at hand.
I had to install it at work one time, but I learned a bit about
Apache->"Separate Server Process" interfacing in the process.
You might be interested to know that IMHO (A Common LISP web objects
framework) used the mod_jserv from Tomcat, at one point in the past.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 09:07:05PM -0500, Andrew K. Wolven wrote:

> [...]
> > 1. The Tomcat HTTP server is slow and an incomplete implementation
> > 2. It is not as secure as Apache, and not as well maintained
> > 3. It means defining security in two different places:
> >    - The apache configuration files
> >    - The Tomcat configuration files
> >    And Apache is a lot more configurable than the Tomcat HTTP server.
> >
> > It seems to me that a lot of the same issues would apply to mod_lisp
> > and whatever backend.
> >

> Please tell me what IIRC is a clever acronym/abbrev for, and also, if you could,
> please tell me what that Jakarta-Tomcat http server is about.  I might be able to
> understand what point you are getting at.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

> > > Dear Marc,
> > > I really appreciate your work on mod_lisp in that it helps give unix
> > > jockeys one
> > > less excuse for not using the highest quality standards in software
> > > engineering,
> > > namely ANSI Common Lisp and relatives.  However, I think that the design
> > > reasons
> > > that you have described above are full of hot air and that's why you
> > > have to add
> > > steel cables to keep your balloon from floating off.  You are adding an
> > > extra
> > > layer of sockets and the protocol to go with it which only forces a lisp
> > > hacker
> > > to have to waste time learning/administrating Apache/mod_lisp in
> > > addition to
> > > programming/administrating a lisp [application] server.  (and will
> > > probably make
> > > the response time of your http request go up by 20% or so on average)  I
> > > happen
> > > to believe strongly, as well as have evidence based on government work
> > > experience, that people that stack engineering on top of buzzwords are
> > > doomed.
> > > If you must offload your static data to an Apache server for
> > > performance/admin/political or other reasons, you don't need a backdoor
> > > connection to the server since the browser can connect to the static
> > > content
> > > server directly.  Simply have your lisp [application] server emit the
> > > correct
> > > url to the static content.  I seem to remember this debate from a while
> > > back and
> > > it seemed fresh and dandy then, but now that I have had time to mull
> > > over it and
> > > run some live sites, I have to say 'wait a minute'.
> > >
> > > AKW
> >
> > --
> > ;; Matthew Danish                         email: mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu ;;
> > ;; OpenPGP public key available from:        'finger mrd at db.debian.org' ;;