[Lispweb] Mod_lisp 2.0 released

Bruce ONeel beoneel at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 20 10:22:55 CDT 2001

First all, some thanks go out to the kind folks at
fractalconcept.com for mod_lisp.  It's nice, and it might
help us use lisp in new areas.

I did have some comments on the concept of a pure lisp solution
vs using other systems though.

For 95% of my portion of our shop we are a pure lisp solution
with 65+  TI Lisp machines running production jobs.  We would
love to run a lisp web server but that would be a disaster on
these systems, if for no other reason than the TCP/IP
implimentation does not deal with high loads.  They get
real flaky after about a half dozen connections at the
same time.   Still, a web server would be nice both
for the customer as well as for us to debug remotely
from home etc.  Oh yea, it's a requirement from above...

Something like mod_lisp lets us keep using lisp while at
the same time drawing on others in the company who
already know and run the web servers using apache.  It
also gives us CYA (cover your backside) protection when
someone starts screaming, ie, lisp is not the first thing
which catches the blame.   That and most of the unixy
TCP/IP implimentations are well debugged at high loads
and Apache doesn't choke with high and variable
loads either.

The other nice bit of company infrastructure something
such as mod_lisp lets us draw on is that we already have
a nice computer room with nice servers and nice operators
to babysit them.  Running under apache (or similiar) lets us
take advantage of that so that *I* don't have to give up
my weekends to babysit, just when things go very wrong.

Would I love a pure lisp solution?  Of course.  Would I love it
if my company used Lisp for everything?  Of course.  But,
they don't and they are too big to change.  Still, a comprimise
is not all bad.  We continue to use lisp for what lisp does very
well (what?  You want a change in the next 20 mins?  ok, it
will be done)  (Oh, you have 35 different slightly ugly and
somewhat random cases here, not too big of a problem.
Oh right, the user can mistype the line in
addition.  In French or German even when the standard says they should use
english.) while pushing off to others  the bits  that they do well is not a
bad comprimise at all.

That, and to be honest, I don't really want to spend time debugging
why TCP/IP hangs once in a while on the TIs. :-)

Thanks again.

cheers

bruce

----
Bruce O'Neel <beoneel at mindspring.com> -- XML and Squeak.
LWxml, a light weight XML parser in Squeak
XML Journal http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~bioneel/beo/beo.html