[Lispweb] WebObjects

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Thu Jun 28 15:41:41 CDT 2001

Bruce ONeel writes :

> In TidBITS#585/25-Jun-01 at http://www.tidbits.com/
> there is the second of two parts about WebObjects, which,
> could be exactly how one could use Lisp and mod_lisp in a
> web app as well.  Nice overview.

I've read it. It's interesting, but I don't fully agree with his evolution
path. In particular on the best way to manage the HTML interface.

For him the ultimate evolution is to have the interface written by HTML guys
with special tags processed by the application.

I think it's much more powerful to have it generated by Lisp with macros
like html-gen (from Franz) and to use parse-html (also from Franz) to
convert the work of the HTML guys into a form usable by Lisp. So that we can
embbed more elaborated code in the HTML than only replacing tags. Note that
the old mode of operation can still be supported but we are not limited to
it.

I would be interested to know what other people using Lisp to do web app
think about this point.

Marc