[Lispweb] WebObjects

jesse@onshore.com jesse at onshore.com
Fri Jun 29 16:24:12 CDT 2001

"Marc Battyani" <marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com> writes:

> I think it's much more powerful to have it generated by Lisp with macros
> like html-gen (from Franz) and to use parse-html (also from Franz) to
> convert the work of the HTML guys into a form usable by Lisp. So that we can
> embbed more elaborated code in the HTML than only replacing tags. Note that
> the old mode of operation can still be supported but we are not limited to
> it.
>
> I would be interested to know what other people using Lisp to do web app
> think about this point.

onshore's application has essentially been fully migrated from
templated html, with special tags, to html-gen generated markup.  One
reason is that it didn't really turn out to be useful to keep the
templates separate.  It might have been, had there been a clear
separation between the duties of programmers and those of interface
designers.  More importantly, the macroized interface code is more
susceptible to the sort of library-building strategy that goes on with
plain old lisp code: common code/interface segments tend to more or
less gradually fold out into pretty little 10-20 line helper functions
and get used pervasively.

Jesse Bouwman