[Lispweb] Portable Allegroserve and SBCL ?

Francois-Rene Rideau fare at tunes.org
Tue Jul 6 10:18:26 CDT 2004

I just tried latest CVS version of portableaserve with latest SBCL
from debian-i386. Same bug.

Since it's the very same asdf that runs, my tentative explanation
of what happens is as follows:
* aserve.asd fails to ever LOAD the dependencies of a component
 before said component is COMPILE-FILEd.
* however, in most implementations, the previous COMPILE-FILE of the
 dependencies would have "dirtied" the current compilation environment
 with the definitions of the file being compiled, whereas SBCL does its
 best to keep its environment clean of things outside a proper (eval-when).
* Hence, the difference in observable behaviour.

This is a tentative explanation, based on guesses that might be wrong.

I haven't dug enough in asdf to understand what happens or even
what SHOULD happen, and aserve.asd does some customizations of asdf
that makes things even more difficult for me to understand.

Cheers!

Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls
and looks like work.	-- T. A. Edison