[Lispweb] Back to Lisp (was: The Common Lisp Directory rewritten in Python)

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Sun Apr 2 12:08:02 CDT 2006

"Marc Battyani" <Marc.Battyani at fractalconcept.com> wrote

>A short announcement: Some of you have might have already noticed the
> use of URLs for the Common Lisp Directory that indicate that Python
> code is used. It's indeed the case that we have switched from a
> server application based on Common Lisp to one based on Python. The
> reason is that we had some problems with regard to multithreading and
> the HTML code generation utilities that we use. In order not to risk
> any stability issues, we have quickly rewritten the whole application
> logic in Python, and it seems that everything works well now. We will
> give a fully detailed report of the problems of using Common Lisp in
> web application development in a few days when the transition is
> finished and fully tested.
>
> Some of you might now think that this is a bad case of not eating our
> own dog food, but it's simply better to be pragmatic here and use a
> solution that actually works instead of spending time on fixing
> complex interactions between incompatible libraries. Needless to say
> that we stand fully committed behind Common Lisp and especially the
> Common Lisp Directory, due to its popularity with users and its
> recognition in major search engines (Google, etc.) in a very short
> amount of time. For the time being, we will stick to Python for the
> Common Lisp Directory, but will reevaluate the situation in the
> coming months.

OK finally, we decided on April 2 to go back to the Lisp version ;-)
So now the Common Lisp Directory is back to:
http://www.cl-user.net/asp/root-dir
(BTW this makes me thinks that I should drop the asp as well... :)

In fact as probably anyone has found now, the Common Lisp Directory has
never been rewritten in Python. It was just an April 1 joke for insiders
(remember the R affair...)

A more detailed report on the Common Lisp Directory experience will follow.

Marc