[Lispweb] A newbie start...

Richard Newman r.newman at reading.ac.uk
Thu Oct 5 10:24:35 CDT 2006

When you use Perl, PHP, or C to serve pages, you're using CGI (or
similar features in Apache).

Apache receives HTTP requests, and starts up the Perl script to
generate a page.

It's possible to do something similar with Lisp; search for "mod_lisp".

However, most Lisp web applications get rid of Apache from this
equation. The Lisp application handles the entire HTTP request; you
don't tear down the application between requests any more than you
restart Apache each time you serve a page.

Both Araneida and (Portable) AllegroServe provide complete web
stacks; run Lisp, load them, start a server, and it'll start handling
requests.

You can, if you wish, run your Lisp application behind Apache, but
this is only really worthwhile if you wish to use Apache to serve
other pages. There are other solutions, too; see http://apsis.ch/
pound and THTTPD.

Furthermore, if you want to do something PHP-like (i.e., a single
page mixing HTML and code), try

<http://www.google.com/search?q=lisp-server-pages>

-R