Idea: Moving sections 'Undoing changes' and 'Resurrecting deleted items'

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Fri Jun 3 13:08:46 CDT 2005

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2005, at 4:20 AM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Reading the users mailing list, I think that the book would benefit
>> from
>> this change:
>>
>> Moving the sections 'Undoing changes' and 'Resurrecting deleted
>> items' from
>> the 'Branching and merging' chapter to the Guided Tour chapter in
>> the 'Basic
>> Workcycle' section.
>
> It's tricky:  should we really be telling people in the basic
> tutorial, "oh by the way, to undo a change, run this merge command",
> when they have no idea what 'svn merge' is?
>
> Maybe the best compromise is to create links in chapter 3 that point
> to the chapter 4 sections...?

I'm with Ben -- merge is a complex concept, and the complexity grows
when you start talking about using that subcommand as a mechanism for
the unworking of changes.  In fact, I don't think that any change is
necessary at all -- we mustn't allow chapter 3 to become a table of
contents for the rest of the book (that's what the Table of Contents is
for).