subversion.conf example 6.3 but with SSL

Amos Hayes ahayes at connect.carleton.ca
Wed Mar 30 11:57:14 CST 2005

Hello.

We run a subversion server and are security conscious. We want to
ensure that authenticated access happens over SSL. We don't mind if
that means non-authenticated access winds up requiring it as well.

"Example 6.3. A sample configuration for mixed authenticated/anonymous
access." is quite handy but in order to get the idea of mixed anonymous
and authenticated access to work with SSL, you need to tack in the
"SSLOptions +StrictRequire" line *along with* the SSLRequireSSL
directive. It took us a little while to figure this out, so it might be
a handy example for the book. This saves having to go though the hassle
of virtual hosts (as seen at
<http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2004-10/0400.shtml>) at the expense
of requiring SSL for all repository connections.

----------------------------------
<Location /svn>
    DAV svn
    SVNPath /home/svnroot

    Satisfy Any
    SSLRequireSSL
    SSLOptions +StrictRequire
    Require valid-user

    AuthzSVNAccessFile /usr/local/apache2/conf.d/subversion_access

    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "SVN"
    AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache2/conf.d/subversion.pw
</Location>

--
Amos Hayes
Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre