Wrong merge from en to pt_BR

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Wed Jul 5 11:24:15 CDT 2006

ASIDE:  A little piece of Subversion best practice advice -- when committing
a merge, specify in your log message the whole revision range and path(s)
used to perform the merge.

CĂ©lio Cidral Junior wrote:
> I just realized that I made a wrong merge from src/en to src/pt_BR a
> month ago. We have decided to fix the translation on the 1.2 version
> (r2140), however I did a merge (r2207) from r2100 through 2206, which
> included post-1.2 changes. Now I want to revert that merge. Examining
> the log and also some diffs, it seems that
>
>     <WC>/src/pt_BR $ svn merge -r 2207:2155 .
>
> does the job.

Two ways to undo a committed merge:

  1.  Repeat the merge with a reversed revision range:

         svn merge -r 2206:2100 \
             http://svn.red-bean.com/svnbook/trunk/src/en/ .

  2.  Merge the reversal of the committed merge:

         svn merge -r 2207:2206 .

> Then
>
>     <WC>/src/pt_BR $ svn merge
> http://svn.red-bean.com/svnbook/trunk/src/en/ -r 2100:2140 .
>
> to merge changes from en up to the 1.2 tag.
>
> Just a sanity check, as I hate to do a wrong commit and am afraid of
> messing everything up.

I guess that will work, but I think you can do what you want to do in a
single step.  Your translation directory currently contains all the en
changes from the beginning of time until r2206, right?  You need to remove
the changes between r2140 and r2206, then, yes?  So:

   svn merge http://svn.red-bean.com/svnbook/trunk/src/en/ -r 2206:2140 .

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com>

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
 been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton