"is a directory" repeated twice in ch5, line 2756

Julian Foad julianfoad at btopenworld.com
Mon Jun 26 18:55:59 CDT 2006

Julien BETI wrote:
> I'm sorry to report this "issue" using a mail, but I did not found an
> easy way to put it on your bug tracking system.

Julien, thank you for reporting this issue using mail.  We always like to
discuss by mail first, and only use a bug tracker if the information needs to
be kept for a long time.

> In chapter 5 (near the end, line 2746 today), "is a directory" is
> written twice.
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/trac/browser/trunk/src/en/book/ch05.xml#L2746

The text is: "in its eyes, a directory is a directory is a directory."

That repetition is intentional.  It is not necessary - you could remove it
without changing the meaning - but it is an idiom that is used occasionally for
emphasis, like "going on and on and on".

Regards,

Julian