a small typo in svnbook

Julian Foad julianfoad at btopenworld.com
Tue May 2 10:12:39 CDT 2006

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> On Sunday 30 April 2006 20:36, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

>>>Instead of
>>>
>>>If you're one of those folks who prefers to learn
>>>
>>>I think it should be
>>>
>>>If you're one of those folks who prefer to learn
>>
>>The existing text is actually correct;  it's a grammatical detail that
>>even native speakers sometimes get wrong.  The actual subject of the
>>sentence is "one", which is singular, so the verb is "prefers".  ("One
>>prefers...")  The phrase "of those folks" is just a clause which has
>>no effect on the verb.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.

Well, I disagree with Ben's explanation.  In the structure

   "If you're (one of those folks) who prefers to learn ..."

the word "those" has no referent.  (Which folks is "those folks" referring to?)
  I'd say the intended and logical sentence structure is

   "If you're one of (those folks who prefer to learn ...)"

as raju said.

- Julian