[svnbook commit] r2694 - trunk/src/en/book

Ben Collins-Sussman sussman at red-bean.com
Sat Feb 24 10:31:00 CST 2007

On 2/23/07, cmpilato <noreply at red-bean.com> wrote:
> Author: cmpilato
> Date: Fri Feb 23 01:19:38 2007
> New Revision: 2694

>   Consistently use URL schemas with two trailing slashes (so, file://
>   and https://, not file:/// or http:)

Urk, I'm really scared about using file:// throughout the book.

I mean, yes, I know that if one has deep understanding of RFCs, that
"all schemas have two slashes and a hostname", and that the the reason
for the third slash in file:/// is because the hostname is empty.
That's a very nice pat explanation, and explains what's going on.

But at the same time, so many users get tripped up over the file://
vs. file:/// issue, I feel like while we may be 'following the RFC'
with this change, the tradeoff is that we're making it more likely for
them to forget the third slash and get frustrated.

If you feel strongly about this, then maybe we can put an explicit
reminder about using file:/// in the section that explains URL
formats.