ch03 review

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Thu Jan 4 23:08:04 CST 2007

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> "It has other bits of functionality that extend beyond basic file and
> directory versioning; beyond just sending and receiving changes to and
> from a central repository."
>
> I think the use of a semicolon there is awkward.  I was taught that
> semicolons always separate two wholly complete sentences.   I think if
> I heard you speak that text and I were transcribing, I'd just write a
> comma.

That's called a typo -- I meant to use a comma.  :-)

> 'Creating Locks' section
>
> The examples all have prompts of "[harry]$"  Why are breaking our "$"
> convention only in this one section of this one chapter?  Don't we
> show Harry and Sally doing different things in other chapters?  Is
> there really a problem of disambiguation between Harry and Sally's
> actions here, given all the surrounding explanations?

I can revert this, but I did it because I got tired of seeing this at
the start of every example:

   $ whoami
   harry

I agree with the rest of the review.  Thanks, dude.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com>

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
 been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton