Ch03 Review

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Fri Jan 5 09:36:57 CST 2007

Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
> "Properties and the Subversion Workflow"
>
> - I know that the last paragraph is a summary, but it feels kind of
> ham-handed to me.

Got any suggestions?  I'm trying to point out that interaction with
properties doesn't require a bunch of extraneous effort.

> "Breaking and Stealing Locks"
>
> - I admit that I didn't check, but I thought the default state was to
> disallow locking entirely, not to allow anyone to break and steal any
> lock.  Furthermore, I wrote a pre-lock script that by default only
> allows a user to break or steal his/her own locks.  If I am out of
> date or mistaken in this belief, please ignore this comment (but let
> me know that I'm wrong!) :-)

I see the following on a new repository with no lock-related hooks in place:

$ svn lock http://localhost/tests/repos/foo \
      --username user
svn: warning: Path '/foo' is already locked by user 'cmpilato' in
filesystem '/home/cmpilato/tests/repos/db'
$ svn lock http://localhost/tests/repos/foo \
      --username user --force
'foo' locked by user 'user'.
$ svn unlock http://localhost/tests/repos/foo \
      --username cmpilato
subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:393: (apr_err=175002)
svn: Unlock request failed: 403 Forbidden (http://localhost)
$ svn unlock http://localhost/tests/repos/foo \
      --username cmpilato --force
'foo' unlocked.
$

> "Externals definitions"
>
> - How about you use an svn:// and and https:// url in the example and
> then you can point out the shortcoming that the external url schema is
> inflexible (which could be a problem for folks who have both http and
> https access to their repos).

I thought about this case while composing the example last night, but
don't want to overload the example with multiple problems.  I think its
sufficient to point out the problem in the prose.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com>

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
 been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton