Chapter 9 ideas

Larry Shatzer, Jr. larrys at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 14:00:26 CDT 2008

(Sorry for the second copy Fitz, I thought I hit reply to all, and wanted
this to go to the list as well).

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Brian W. Fitzpatrick <fitz at red-bean.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Larry Shatzer, Jr. <larrys at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > (Resending this as I got a bounce back...)
> >
> > I was looking over the reference in chapter 9 to make sure the sections
> that
> > list all the options for each of the subcommands was up to date, and
> noticed
> > it varied between command on order,
>
> I mostly mirrored the ordering on the output of svn help, but I could
> be convinced that alphabetical is better...

I was going to have it mirror the output of svn help as well, I found a few
in my first few that did not match, but that could be the output differed
between 1.4 and 1.5.

> > and some had all the "global" options,
> > and some did not.
>
> Can you give some examples?  I will say that I specifically did not
> list --username and --password for commands that do not use them (and
> for the record, I still *strongly* disagree with the decision to just
> have every command--even the ones that don't use them--accept these
> options)

Just a misunderstanding on my part. I was meaning some would have stuff like
--username and --config-dir, etc. was listed in some of the subcommands, yet
not others.

> > was also hoping to somehow include the layout of the global options also
> > including some documentation about each option in each subcommands
> section.
> > Maybe to start off with the text from svn help SUBCOMMAND could be a good
> > start. It would be even better if it could be automated to grab the
> > docstrings from the svn help output and drop them into the docbook
> sections.
> >
> > So before I continue with this (if it is something that is needed),
> should I
> > include all the output of svn help SUBCOMMAND in the <screen> sections to
> > start off with? I also had questions about adding --non-recursive in
> there,
> > since the output says it is obsolete, and I doubt we want to document it
> in
> > the book.
>
> Maybe I missed a previous email, but what are you planning to do here?
>  I'm about to start copyediting Chapter 9, and that's going to tear it
> apart, so unless it's really impt, it should probably wait...

There was no other email. I tried to send one, but got bounced back, so I
resent it. I was just looking to improve this section by making sure all the
subcommands were listed, etc. If you are about to start ripping this chapter
apart and edit it, I'll leave it alone.

-- Larry