symbol rendering difference between HTML and PDF

Jens Seidel jensseidel at users.sf.net
Fri Aug 22 15:28:16 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 04:03:46PM -0400, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> We should probably stop using entities and use real UTF8 characters anyway
> (like O'Reilly expects in their sources).  I've got a symbol conversion
> table in our HACKING file, but want to avoid sweeping changes right now.

That's clearly the wrong way! How do you want to edit such files, with
an hex-editor? I really fail to detect whether - is an ordinary dash,
a ndash, mdash, a minus sign or whatever.

OK, let's assume you are able to handle it, what about translators or
co-workers?

If UTF-8 seuences are really required (I doubt it), add a few sed or perl
substitutions in the Makefile which works transparently.

Jens