[REVIEW] Subsection "Choosing a Data Store"

Ben Collins-Sussman sussman at red-bean.com
Thu Jun 12 08:54:25 CDT 2008

It's a long known issue with FSFS:   each change uploaded goes into a
txn/ directory as the commit progresses.  But when the commit is
finalized, the FSFS code has to assemble lots of of small files in the
txn/ directory into a single new revision file.  If the commit
modified 20,000 files, then it may take a very long time to create the
revision file.

In practice, it's not really an issue.  In theory, it's an edge-case
of FSFS which doesn't scale well.