Suggested improvement to svn:eol-style with Auto Properties

Tim tim94928 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 08:52:41 CST 2008

Hi,

It took me a really long time to determine how to
automatically set svn:eol-style.
I highly recommend you improve the book in this area.

I use Mac, Unix and Windows so this is a very
important feature.

I found partial answers and hints in all of these
places:
       Chapter 3, Automatic Property Setting
       Chapter 3, End-of-Line Character Sequences
       Chapter 7, Configuration Options
       Chapter 9, svn add
       FAQ: How can I set certain properties on
everything in the repository?

But since I couldn't find an explicit answer I was
constantly doing this:
    svn add newfile.txt
    svn propset svn:eol-style native newfile.txt

Finally, I found the clue in the second to last
sentence of Chapter 7 Config where it says "You can
find several examples of auto-props in the config
file".  This clue was pretty hard to find.

To make this easier for new people like me, I
recommend you add the following paragraph to Chapter 3
End of Line Character Sequences, just after the table
where you define 'native', CRLF, LF and CR:

---

Using auto properties and a configuration file, you
can set svn:eol-style automatically whenever you add a
text file such as *.txt, *.cpp, or *.html.   The
location of the configuration file is described in the
section "Configuration Area Layout".  The capabilities
of Auto properties are described in the section "Auto
Properties".

----

In addition, take the last paragraph of the section
called "Config" and make it the start of a new section
called "Auto Properties" so it is easier to find.

Thanks,

Tim