CVS users section

Trenton D. Adams trenta at athabascau.ca
Fri Apr 3 11:47:02 CDT 2009

Hi Guys,

There's one hurdle that I just haven't seemed to be able to get over, when switching from CVS to SVN.  When I do an "svn log" on a local copy, with no arguments, I expect to see the logs for that entire tree, and all the files in it.  This was CVS behaviour.

Personally, I think this is a regression in SVN, when compared with CVS.  But, at the least, I would highly recommend adding something about it to the book.

Also, there's a few other issues with log information.  In CVS, I only ever had to do a log command on the local copy, to get the log information.  Now, with SVN, you have to use the remote repository URL, such as "svn log svn+ssh://somehost/home/svn/repo/blah_project", to get all of the logs for that project.  Again, I think that's a regression, but it should probably be mentioned in the book.

Thanks.

Trenton D. Adams
Systems Analyst/Web Software Engineer
Navy Penguins at your service!